DOHA PEDESTRIAN BRIDGES
QSD was assigned in association with Dorsche Group to design prototype models for pedestrain bridges, the bridges
PROPOSAL 1 - BURGUNDY WAVES_FORM FOLLOWS FLOW
- 5 METERS STEEL BRACING MODULE: with breaking down to 2.5m & 1.25m architectural modules
- Consider 35m fixed distance for wave : to fit all spans & add rest of the required span distance on the same positions of the start & end bracing rings(hexagons)
- Form Follow Flow: Peaks & Valleys:
- At peaks : Create a wave that allow for an external space & right vision angle for the external advertising panels/screens on outer side with an inner space(not-glazed) for bridge furnishing (vending machines,..etc) )
- At valleys : The wave takes at the lowest point to extend on a horizontal way adding an extended outdoor planter alcove with full height glazing points, then the planter line to be twisted vertically towards the entrance masses creating vegetated wall panels on the road adjacent walls.
- For the premium bridges: full height portals are considered for a luxurious Premium bridge experience, while at standard bridges: vegetated walls edging frames are the only considered at entrances with no shed above
- BURGUNDY WAVES A SYMNOLIC NATIONAL REFERENCE: The waves at the end of bridge form take the burgundy arabic patterned parametric wave as a symbolic national reference for Qatar flag & its arabic identity
PROPOSAL 2 - TRANSPARENCY_FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION
- STRAIGHT SHORTCUTS ON THE ROAD : for less travel distance
- SPECIAL ASCENDING EXPERINCE: at road adjacent transparent staircase
- FLEXIBLE SPANS SIMPLE MODULAR SYSTEM.
PROPOSAL 3 - PERCEPTUAL TRIP_FORM FOLLOWS SCALE
- SPATIAL EXPERIENCE VARIES PROPORTIONALLY ACCORDING TO SPAN VARIATIONS.
- THE PROPOSED CROSS SECTION OF THE BRIDGE IS A “FUNNEL” SHAPE: guiding pedestrians throughout their trip and moderates their flow/speed.
- CLEAR HEIGHT IS IN DIRECT PROPORTION TO TRAVEL DISTANCE OF PEDESTRIANS.
- At the middle of the max. travel distance (=90m) the height reach its max.
- At the middle of the max. travel distance(=90m) the width of the bridge reach its max, creating a mini-urban plaza on the bridge.
- THE NODE IN THE MIDDLE IS A POTENTIAL SPOT FOR PLACING MORE INTERNAL ADVERTISEMENTS
PROPOSAL 4 - INTERSCTIONG FRAMES_FORM FOLLOWS STRUCTURE
- STRUCTURAL ELEMENTS AS ARCHITECTURE ELEMENTS: concept of the form based on using the bridge structural walls/columns/Bracings,…etc. as the main architectural elements defining the architectural character of the proposal.
- INTERSECTING FRAMES: Architectural composition based on intersecting frames (including structural elements), to define vertical elements like gates of the bridge & stairs & horizontal elements including the bridge mass flooring & roofing.
- FLEXIBLE SPAN BASED RIGID MOUDULAR UNIT: span varies from 40000 to 60000 with typical panel 5000mm
- SIMPLE & FLEXIBLE DESIGN
|BIM & PARAMETRIC DESIGN Concept Design|
|BIM & PARAMETRIC DESIGN Pre-Concept|
|URBAN DESIGN + LANDSCAPING Concept Design|
|URBAN DESIGN + LANDSCAPING Pre-Concept|
|INTERIOR DESIGN Concept Design|
|INTERIOR DESIGN Pre-Concept|
|ARCHITECTURE Concept Design|